Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year's Projects

I have heard the sad news that Blueprint Magazine is being discontinued. Thankfully the blog will continue (see link on the right) - but I am going to miss the actual magazine arriving in my mailbox. I will spare you all the rant on their idea of replacing the magazine for their subscribers with Martha Stewart Weddings. Seriously? That's all I'm going to say about that.

The latest, and last, issue did give me some inspiration. On the cover of the Jan/Feb issue is a dresser that has a picture of a fancier dresser stuck on the front. It's very simple and unique.

I'm going to take an old dresser I have that I don't really use and turn it into a dining room storage thing. (Tablecloths, serving platters, etc) I'm going to paint the dresser green with the leftover paint from my frame project (with perhaps some brown or darker green accents) and then adhere an oversized clip-art to the front of the drawers. (Really..it's really cool looking. I promise. If the magazine webpage had the cover up I'd direct you there, but they don't.) So - I've been browsing clip-art sites looking for something that fits me and the room.

I've fallen in love with many from the "Dover" collection on clipart.com - they are black and white drawings of vintage looking...everything. I'm narrowing my search down with such terms as "dining" "kitchen" "cooking" and "waitress". They charge $14.95 for a week's subscription. So I'm thinking about buying it for a week and downloading anything and everything I like. Right now I'm just looking. Here are a few of my favorites at the moment. (This is more for my reference than anything - but feel free to comment on my choices)

Lady at a Kitchen Cabinet (I'd prefer a similar image without the lady)

Cooking Lady

Flap-jacks

Hits The Spot

Home Cooking


Excellent Food


Fine Foods


I probably won't have time to really work on this until the February break. (And I need to not spend money on the clip-art and getting the image enlarged to a poster-size until then anyway) However, I wanted to keep track of my image ideas for now. :)

I'll take pictures as the process goes along. I have a feeling this is one of my ideas where everyone is going to think I'm crazy until I get some pictures up.

there was also a really cool idea for "build your own Entertainment Center" - but that one will have to wait for perhaps a summer project.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the second clipart link.

    I think the dresser idea sounds great. I'd like to do this stuff eventually. At the moment, I don't have anything that would be useful to either redo, or tear apart. I'd like to do it to Sam's dresser, but I don't know if he'd like that. We have like five dressers though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame they are canceling the magazine. I really liked it as well. I actually picked it up one day before you even posted about it. I did take a look at this month's issue, but I don't remember the specifics about the cover. I'll definately look the next time I go to the store.

    As far as clipart goes, the first and second are my favorites. I do agree that the first pic would be much better without the lady. But it looks like she could easily be taken out of it on Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete