Sunday, June 29, 2008

New Potatoes

I learned something new the other day via my CSA newsletter. Potatoes can wilt! I got a bag full each of fingerling potatoes and red potatoes - and the newsletter said these were "new potatoes" - or young ones. They were more tender and their skin was thinner than the ones you usually buy in the store. Those in stores usually stay in the ground longer for their skins to thicken up to make shipping safer for them. However, when the potato is just coming to me from the farm down the road - it doesn't need a thick skin. Anyway. The newsletter informed me that these potatoes can wilt and should be kept in the fridge.

(Here is where I take a side note to give a shout out to Tupperware's Fridge Smart series (pictured). They are great storage things for fruits and veggies (and potatoes!). I put all of my produce in them now and they stay fresh for weeks. Amazing. Really!)


I used some of the potatoes to try a recipe from my America's Test Kitchen book and they turned out wonderfully as always.


The recipe is pretty simple:


Preheat oven to 400


Wash potatoes, cut into bite-size wedges


Toss potato wedges in olive oil, salt, and pepper


Put potatoes on a rimmed cookie sheet with one of the cut sides down. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 20 minutes.


Remove foil. Bake 15 minutes


Turn potatoes to the other cut side. Sprinkle with oregano Bake 8 more minutes


Remove from pan and toss with 1/2 cup feta cheese, minced garlic clove, salt, 1 tsp lemon juice, and some olives. Yum!



4 comments:

  1. that sounds good!

    and i just remembered that I didnt eat up all of your fruit. oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a tip that I discovered... if you put the cookie sheet in the oven while it's pre-heating, then dump the potatoes on it while it's hot, it does a neat carmelization of the potato that's SO yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds really good. I'm starting to get hungry now. :)

    ReplyDelete