Thursday, August 7, 2008

My New Favorite Sauce: Cocunut Curry


First of all, I apologize for the lack of posts here. I was doing so well with my regular updates! Then I had to go back to work and suddenly the great domestic question of the evening is no longer "What will I cook for dinner?" but "Which is more important: sleep, food, or lesson plans?"


Tonight "food" was the answer to that question and I cooked up a new dish using a coconut curry sauce I spied in the ethnic food aisle at the grocery store. It was YUM!


Very simple.


Cook about 1 cup of bite-sized chicken pieces in a pan with some olive oil until cooked through. Throw in about 1 cup of vegetables cut into bite sized pieces. (I used what I had on hand from CSA: squash, onions, and green beans). I cooked that for a few minutes. Then I poured in about half the bottle of the sauce and brought the mixture to a boil stirring often. Sprinkled in some cilantro and served. I would've made some white rice to go with it had I any rice -but I didn't - and it was still good. The sauce is a bit on the spicy side - which I love!


The only thing that wasn't great about it was that my green beans were a bit too crunchy. I guess I should have done something to them first. I don't know what I should have done to them as I've always been a "green beans come in cans" girl up to this point. I only know to snap the ends off because I watched Olivia and Esther Walton do it so often growing up. (By the way, I LOVE snapping beans. It is quite fun. Really. You should try it.)
The best part is that It was enough for dinner tonight and leftovers to take for lunch tomorrow. So I won't have to eat cafeteria food for lunch!

2 comments:

  1. Breaking and stringing beans is one of my fondest memories of childhood. We used to sit for hours all together as a family all laughing and tracking down stray beans.

    Try fast boiling your beans for about 10 minutes so that they will be fully cooked next time. If the beans tend to be a little dry (meaning they don't snap easily and kind of tear apart), you'll have to fast boil them longer. The beans should be slightly tender on the outside, but not fully cooked after fast boiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Mel! I was hoping someone would tell me what to do. lol

    ReplyDelete