Thursday, January 6, 2011

2010 in Review

In 2010 . . .

I took a lot of pictures as part of Project 365 - almost one every day - but not quite. And some days took many many more than one. As fun as it was and as nice is it is to have a photo journey of my year - I will not be doing this again anytime in the near future.

 I read some books - more at the beginning of the year than the end. And, left quite a stack started and unfinished the year ended.  I failed miserably at my hopes of reading more non-fiction. What can I say? The novels are called page-turners for a reason!

I'm taking an idea from a friend and listing some "firsts" that I experienced in 2010 . . .

I did a little bit of traveling  - first time visits included St. Louis and seeing the Gateway Arch (not as exciting as it sounds) and traveling to Memphis for a visit to Graceland (more fun that it sounds!)

I was on a diverted plane thanks to high winds that left my knuckles white and the plane unable to land. I am not easily scared and I was waiting for the oxygen masks to drop!

Experienced the wonder that is the Chicago Summer. Wandered around Millennium park surrounded by men in kilts at the Celtic Fest, went to America's largest picnic at the Taste of Chicago, and enjoyed local art at a variety of local street fairs. 

I made myself a purse. 

I hunkered down on the floor of a smoke-filled subway car because of a fire on the tracks and the train being unable to move to a platform. I'm ok with that being a first and last!

Did a cross-country drive by myself - Chicago-to-Memphis-to-Atlanta (in a car with a sunroof!)

I enjoyed some time in a luxury hotel.

I learned to make hand-thrown pottery and discovered I'm pretty good at it for a beginner!

I walked through thigh-high snow thanks to the drifts at the shore of Lake Michigan

I went to see an Opera - Verdi's Macbeth

I rode on a sailboat (and rekindled my dream to learn how to sail..maybe in 2011)

I made a snowman taller than a foot

I bought the most amazing grapes I've ever tasted from a Farmer's Market.

Cooked and ate lentils.

And, on another level I grew a lot in 2010 - - had a lot of progress in the way I think about some things and how I respond to certain situations. Grew some confidences, formed some opinions, lost some legalism, and strengthened some beliefs.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic year! I am jealous of the sailing one.

    AND I can't believe the snow ones! I mean, I can because I know where you're from, but it's hard to process that these are "firsts", haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'Easter sounds like the Nicole story! I think I'll add it to my wishlist, looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really great. I imagine it that the subway car would be a good last as well. Yikes. I am doing project 365 this year, and I can tell it's gonna be exhausting.

    ReplyDelete